Nutrition and Wellness Coordinator
- Seattle, Washington
- posted January 24, 2023
Thank you for considering Housing & Food Services at the University of Washington, Seattle.
At the University of Washington, diversity is integral to excellence. We value and honor diverse experiences and perspectives, strive to create welcoming and respectful learning environments, and promote access, opportunity and justice for all.
HFS provides on-campus housing to over 10,000 student residents and operates over 40 dining and café locations that serve the entire campus community. In order to successfully accomplish this, we employ over 1,200 students, classified and professional staff members who work throughout HFS, providing residential and dining services to the campus. As reflected in our mission statement—working together to enhance student life—teamwork and service to our students and customers are at the heart of our business.
To learn about our commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion at UW Housing & Food Services, you are encouraged to review our Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Statement Training.
The NUTRITION AND WELLNESS COORDINATOR (payroll title: Program Operations Specialist) plans, develops, evaluates, and implements programs and services that meet the nutritional needs of the student and campus population. Including managing the oversight of the Dining Services food safety program related to nutrition and allergens. This position also assists in the maintenance and operation of the menu management system.
Student Education and Support:
Manage and oversee the MRDR process and support the student experience related to nutritional support.
• Provides one-on-one nutritional assessments, counseling and support through the Residential Dining system and other Dining Services areas.
• Assists students who are on medically restricted diets by providing nutrition counseling relevant to available menus and offerings.
• Develops nutrition education materials and programs to individual students and groups of students.
• Works with marketing to serve as a resource of nutritional information for the various media sources.
• Responds and addresses student and parent complaints, problems, and concerns regarding nutritional needs and provides accurate and timely follow-up.
• Serves as the preceptor to clinical nutrition and food service interns placed within the department.
Manage and oversee operational compliance of established nutritional standards.
• Identify and set nutritional goals for dining operations.
• Consult with culinary leadership on recipe development based on established nutritional goals.
• Provides input on product selection related to compliance with established nutrition and allergen guidelines.
• Provide nutritional finesse in menu planning and recipe development to ensure compliance guidelines and standards.
• Campus collaboration and partnering with Public Health, Whole U, Athletics and Health & Wellness.
• Conduct monthly safety meeting to proactively enforce and encourage safe practices.
• Participate in the development of Pandemic and Emergency policies and planning.
• Participate in UW wide Safety meetings.
• Provide training materials on various safety topics to be used during unit-level training.
• Update safety resources to SharePoint to ensure information is current and accessible.
• Prepares and administers internal audit controls to measure integrity of nutrition and allergen information, including unit level audits to validate compliance.
• Attends regional and national meetings to enhance professional development, as requested.
• Conduct and maintain compliance for Allergy Training annually to staff.
• Conduct and maintain compliance for ServSafe Manager Training to all professional staff as needed.
• Conduct unit audits for compliance for menus and recipes to maintain accuracy for ingredient usage for accurate nutritional and allergy information.
Menu Management Support:
Support the data entry and validation related to recipes used.
• Provide nutritional and technical support for data entry and recipe maintenance within the menu management system.
• Direct involvement with data input, editing, reviewing, and validating of recipes in the menu management system.
• Support the operation and maintenance of the menu management system and nutritional information.
• Support the development and implementation of web-based nutrition education (Net Nutrition).
Oversee the development and standardizing of nutritional goals.
• Supports the establishment and the evaluation of nutritional program goals and priorities.
• Develops and implements UW Dining’s Nutrition Awareness Program, with the goal of promoting health and wellness in accordance with the objectives set forth by UW Dining.
• Provides nutrition expertise to students concerning health wellness and diet.
Performs related duties as required
Bachelor’s degree in dietetics, nutrition, or related field. Registered and licensed dietitian. 5 years of experience, that includes experience that demonstrates successful:
• Development of menu and food preparation procedures
• Demonstrated analytical and organizational skills
• Nutrition research and recipe and food calculations
• Oral and written communication skills
• Ability to work independently as well as in a team environment
• Configuring applications and writing corresponding policies, procedures, and training materials
• Working with technical staff and end-users
• Facilitating team’s Interpersonal skills
• Providing customer service in a team environment
• Providing direct and/or indirect supervision of staff
• Managing menu management systems
Preference will be given to candidates who demonstrate successful experience:
• Working in leadership capacity within the food services/restaurant industry
• Effective communication skills including giving presentations and training to technical and non-technical staff
• Creativity and resourcefulness with a high degree of flexibility as well as problem solving
• Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, tact, and commitment
• Mentoring staff, creating a positive work environment, and fostering professional development